April 22, 2020
TOKYO-MOL Logistics (Japan) Co., Ltd. (MLG; President: Shuhei Togo) today announced that it will introduce the innovative MOL COILPORTER® (Note 1) in May, in a move to set the company’s in NVOCC business (Note 2) apart from the competition. The product was jointly developed by Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL; President & CEO: Junichiro Ikeda; Headquarters: Minato-ku, Tokyo) and MOL Techno-Trade, Ltd. (MOL Tech; President: Hirokazu Hatta; Headquarters: Chuo-ku, Tokyo).
Outline of MOL COILPORTER® (Note 3)
Conventionally, the containerized transport of steel coils has generally required skilled carpenters to lash coils with timber to stabilize the coils inside the containers. The new MOL COILPORTER® cradle eliminates labor-intensive assembly, significantly increases the efficiency of loading and unloading operations, and offers stress-free services to customers.
- Reduces damage resulting from contact between the dunnage and the coil with high resiliency that combine firmness and flexibility.
- Substantially lighter weight. Anyone can assemble it safely and easily. It can also be pushed in and pulled out of the container.
- More convenient on site thanks to its standard specifications that offer flexibility in a broad range of coil diameter and sheet width.
- High resiliency and high tolerances allow for repeated use, making more efficient use of limited resources. Recyclable.
Services using the New Product
Customers can take advantage of door-to-door services using the MOL COILPORTER® in the containerized ocean transport of steel coils. MLG will collect, store, and forward the product for repeated use by using its broad range of overseas networks, at its own expense, saving customers’ time-consuming effort.
Since its beginnings in the air freight forwarding business, MLG has continually expanded the scope of its services. It has provided ocean transport of various types of steel materials including steel coils, which requires advanced technology and expertise in unloading operations after the cargo arrives at ports, as well as reliable customs clearance and land transport to the final destination. The company has earned the trust of a loyal customer base in Vietnam, Thailand, and other Southeast Asian countries. It will continue to offer stress-free services to customers using the MOL COILPORTER® in ocean container transport, which is the main artery of logistics.
Looking to the Future
MLG strives to expand its services and increase trade volume with the NVOCC business as a key pillar for future growth. In April 2019, it established the “Business Development Division.” It continually develops its own unique logistics products and services that solve problems for customers, by using knowledge it has gained through the creativity and ingenuity of developing and implementing the MOL COILPORTER®, in addition to a solid track record accumulated as an international logistics operator.
- (Note 1) Please refer to the MOL press release on April 22, 2020.
- (Note 2) NVOCC stands for Non-Vessel Operation Common Carrier (offering all the international services of an ocean carrier without operating vessels).
- (Note 3) For details on MOL COILPORTER®, Please visit MOL’s official YouTube channel.